Life is tough.
No matter who you are and what you do, we all encounter obstacles and situations that never seem fair.
One of the most difficult things to accept is that suffering is part of life.
But if we’re going to get on with our lives and make the most of the one chance we’re given, it’s crucial that we do.
So, given that our minds are designed to lean towards the negative and worry about the future, how can we learn to accept life as it is, so we can live in the present moment?
Miyamoto Mushashi is known as Japan’s greatest ever swordsman, and he wrote these 21 profound rules 2 weeks before his death.
Check them out and prepare to have your mind blown.
1. Accept everything just the way it is.
2. Do not seek pleasure for its own sake.
3. Do not, under any circumstances, depend on a partial feeling.
4. Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world.
5. Be detached from desire your whole life long.
6. Do not regret what you have done.
7. Never be jealous.
8. Never let yourself be saddened by a separation.
9. Resentment and complaint are appropriate neither for oneself nor others.
10. Do not let yourself be guided by the feeling of lust or love.
11. In all things have no preferences.
12. Be indifferent to where you live.
13. Do not pursue the taste of good food.
14. Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need.
15. Do not act following customary beliefs.
16. Do not collect weapons or practice with weapons beyond what is useful.
17. Do not fear death.
18. Do not seek to possess either goods or fiefs for your old age.
19. Respect Buddha and the gods without counting on their help.
20. You may abandon your own body but you must preserve your honour.
21. Never stray from the Way.
Looking to reduce stress and live a calmer, more focused life? Mindfulness is the easy way to gently let go of stress and be in the moment. It has fast become the slow way to manage the modern world – without chanting mantras or finding hours of special time to meditate.
In Hack Spirit’s new eBook, The Art of Mindfulness, they explain how you can use mindfulness practically to help you clear your mind, let go of your worries and live peacefully in the present moment.
By devoting full attention on what we are doing in the moment, we can alleviate suffering, fear and anxiety.
With the power of mindfulness at our fingertips and the beauty of looking deeply, we can find insights to transform and heal any situation.
Check it out here.
NOW WATCH: 5 unconventional tips to being happy, right now!
DO YOU WANT TO BE INSPIRED TO THINK DIFFERENTLY?
We're tired of media that amplifies fear and negativity, without expanding your perspective.
This is why we're creating a new kind of media model. One where people come together around new ways of thinking and living.
Your voice is important in this media revolution. Your free thought is important. Make no mistake, you are the key to promoting new ways of thinking.
We need your support now more than ever. Become an Ideapod Prime member for only $4 per month, with a free 14 day trial.
When you join, you get immediate access to all of Ideapod's eBooks and webinars (worth hundreds of dollars - you get it as part of our free trial).
Learn more about our Prime membership program clicking the button below. Thank you!