Ever heard of Miyamoto Mushashi?
If not, he was an expert Japanese swordsman, Buddhist and ronin.
He became renowned through stories of incredible swordsmanship, wise sayings and a highly influential book called The Book of Five Rings, which detailed his philosophy on life and how to get the most out of it.
His philosophical principles are largely influenced by Buddhist philosophy and he’s said to have mastered the art of detachment, letting go and discipline.
In his book, he also revealed his 21 life rules. Below I thought I’d share them because not only are they insightful, but it explains the Zen Buddhist way of life so brilliantly. Here they are:
1. Accept everything just the way it is.
2. Do not seek pleasure for its own sake.
3. Do not, under any circumstances, depend on a partial feeling.
4. Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world.
5. Be detached from desire your whole life long.
6. Do not regret what you have done.
7. Never be jealous.
8. Never let yourself be saddened by a separation.
9. Resentment and complaint are appropriate neither for oneself nor others.
10. Do not let yourself be guided by the feeling of lust or love.
11. In all things have no preferences.
12. Be indifferent to where you live.
13. Do not pursue the taste of good food.
14. Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need.
15. Do not act following customary beliefs.
16. Do not collect weapons or practice with weapons beyond what is useful.
17. Do not fear death.
18. Do not seek to possess either goods or fiefs for your old age.
19. Respect Buddha and the gods without counting on their help.
20. You may abandon your own body but you must preserve your honour.
21. Never stray from the Way.
Which of the life rules was your favorite? Let us know in the comments!
DO YOU WANT TO BE INSPIRED TO THINK DIFFERENTLY?
We're tired of media that amplifies fear and negativity, without expanding your perspective.
This is why we're creating a new kind of media model. One where people come together around new ways of thinking and living.
Your voice is important in this media revolution. Your free thought is important. Make no mistake, you are the key to promoting new ways of thinking.
We need your support now more than ever. Become an Ideapod Prime member for only $4 per month, with a free 14 day trial.
When you join, you get immediate access to all of Ideapod's eBooks and webinars (worth hundreds of dollars - you get it as part of our free trial).
Learn more about our Prime membership program clicking the button below. Thank you!