They say life is your greatest teacher. I’ve learned these lessons the hard way.
I’m now well into my 30s, and wish I had have known how important these life lessons are.
If you’re younger than 30, please consider each and every lesson I’m sharing with you here. If you’re older than 30 and haven’t learned some of these lessons yet, the time to embrace them is now.
21. Nobody will help you. Ultimately, you need to take responsibility for your own life. It all comes down to you. You have to help yourself.
20. You can’t do everything. You feel limitless potential. It’s a good feeling. But you do have limitations. Focus on one thing at a time.
19. Your failures don’t actually matter. People aren’t quickly forget the failures, so put yourself on the line. It’s the wins that count, and the quicker you fail, the sooner you’ll start winning.
18. You need to exercise regularly. Take care of your health and body. It probably works pretty well now. But when you get older, you’ll be happy for having integrated the habit of exercising regularly.
17. Success comes down to perseverance. Don’t give up. Your dreams are important. It’s difficult chasing them, but it’s worth the struggle.
16. Later means never. If you start to postpone things you need to do, you’ll end up not doing them.
15. Experience and emotions matter more than money. Having money in the bank is nice, but when you look back it’s the emotions and memories you have from life experiences that will give you fulfillment. These are what matters.
14. Start saving money now. Despite what I wrote above, money does matter. But not for the purpose of buying fancy things. Rather, stick to the habit of regularly saving a set percentage of your income. Trust me – start it now and you’ll be thanking me in years to come.
13. Luck comes to those who work hard. You’ll be lucky in life. But your chances of being lucky will be correlated with your persistence. Work hard. The luck will come.
12. The world is full of injustice. There’s a random component to your life and what happens around you. Embrace it. Make sure you’re prepared for the worst. It can happen.
11. Every person you cross paths with matters. Don’t take people for granted. Respect people’s lives and where they’re at.
10. It’s never the right moment to get started. It you want to do something, get started now. Take a small step forward. That’s all you need to do. But don’t wait. Take the step now.
9. Move on from broken relationships. If your relationship can’t be fixed, move on. But do it with respect and communication. Let them go and move ahead with life.
8. Your weaknesses don’t matter. We all have weaknesses. Embrace whatever yours is. Admit it to yourself. Find a way to manage it. It may hold the door to whatever your strengths are.
7. All the opportunities for growth are beyond your comfort zone. Life can get comfortable. Then you get stuck in routines. You need to keep on challenging yourself. It’s lonely outside your comfort zone. But that’s where the opportunities are.
6. Your education does not end after high school or university. Life is all about learning, right to your last breath. Embrace the acquisition of knowledge and experience.
5. Everything worth doing takes time. Reaching your goals sounds nice, but it takes longer than expected. Embrace the journey and incremental progress you make. It’s going to take longer than you first imagined.
4. Your family members are the most important people in your life. It’s easy to take your family members for granted. But as you get older, you’ll gain a new appreciation for what they’ve been through to give you the life you now have. Treat them well and appreciate them for who they are – their strengths as well as their weaknesses.
3. Your online friends aren’t your real friends. It’s a bitter pill to swallow. But it’s true. Your real friends are the ones who are there in person when you really need them.
2. Falling in love is the sweetest of emotions, and also the most painful. There’s not much you can do about this one. You need to embrace the pain. It hurts. But journeying through the pain will take you closer to this sweetest of life experiences.
1. Your life has already begun. There are no dress rehearsals to life. This is it. You’re already living it. Take responsibility for it. Every moment has meaning and opportunities in it. Life is happening all around you.
What do you think of these life lessons? Can you add any more? Let me know in the comments below, and please share this if you think it can inspire others to live a more meaningful life.
Are you ready to take ultimate responsibility for your life?
Taking responsibility for your life is the most powerful attribute you can possess.
But how can you take responsibility for your life? How can you make sure that you’re successful in the areas that matter to you?
Ideapod’s new eBook, Why Taking Responsibility is Key to Being the Best You, answers these questions, providing an informative and exciting introduction to self-responsibility and the power of action. Within these 58 pages is the perfect introduction to understanding self-responsibility and the power of taking action.
Check out the eBook here.
DO YOU WANT TO BE INSPIRED TO THINK DIFFERENTLY?
We're tired of media that amplifies fear and negativity, without expanding your perspective.
This is why we're creating a new kind of media model. One where people come together around new ways of thinking and living.
Your voice is important in this media revolution. Your free thought is important. Make no mistake, you are the key to promoting new ways of thinking.
We need your support now more than ever. Become an Ideapod Prime member for only $4 per month, with a free 14 day trial.
When you join, you get immediate access to all of Ideapod's eBooks and webinars (worth hundreds of dollars - you get it as part of our free trial).
Learn more about our Prime membership program clicking the button below. Thank you!