If you’re anything like the majority of people, you’ve experienced depression at some point in your life. Many of us experience it regularly.
It’s a major problem for many people, but new research is suggesting that depression helps us to adapt to new situations.
Want to receive more articles like this in your email inbox every day? Click here to subscribe.
It could be that experiencing depression is positioning you to live a more fulfilling and productive life.
Earlier today we published an article sharing the latest research, which you can read here: Psychologists Think They’ve Found the Evolutionary Purpose of Depression
The reception has been overwhelming, with many people sharing the article. We wanted to follow up with some of the most inspiring quotes we’ve found about depression.
There’s hope and inspiration to be found in the experience of depression. Here’s a snapshot.
15 Quotes on Depression
1. “Getting better from depression demands a lifelong commitment. I’ve made that commitment for my life’s sake and for the sake of those who love me.” — Susan Polis Schutz
2. “Once you choose hope, anything is possible.” — Christopher Reeve
3. “A pearl is a beautiful thing that is produced by an injured life. It is the tear [that results] from the injury of the oyster. The treasure of our being in this world is also produced by an injured life. If we had not been wounded, if we had not been injured, then we will not produce the pearl.” — Stephan Hoeller
4. “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” — Helen Keller
5. “A positive attitude gives you power over your circumstances instead of your circumstances having power over you.” — Joyce Meyer
6. “Man is fond of counting his troubles, but he does not count his joys. If he counted them up as he ought to, he would see that every lot has enough happiness provided for it.” — Fyodor Dostoevsky
7. “If you could only sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to the people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.” — Fred Rogers
8. “What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly.” — Richard Bach
9. “Keep yourself busy if you want to avoid depression. For me, inactivity is the enemy.” — Matt Lucas
10. “Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.” — Thich Nhat Hanh
11. “Maybe you have to know the darkness before you can appreciate the light.” — Madeleine L’Engle
12. “Good humor is a tonic for mind and body. It is the best antidote for anxiety and depression. It is a business asset. It attracts and keep friends. It lightens human burdens. It is the direct route to serenity and contentment.” — Greenville Kleisser
13. “Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack, a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.” — Leonard Cohen
14. “There are far, far better things ahead than anything we leave behind.” — C. S. Lewis
15. “The greatest degree of inner tranquility comes from the development of love and compassion. The more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being.” — Tenzin Gyatso
Since you're here...
... we have a small favor to ask. More people are reading Ideapod than ever before, but advertising revenues across the media landscape are falling fast. You see, it takes literally hundreds of hours (and thousands of dollars) per month to create our articles and maintain the spaces online where the community comes together to find inspiration.
If you find any value and inspiration in what we do, we would be so appreciative if you became an Ideapod Prime member of Ideapod. It's $4 per month, with a free 14 day trial. You get to experience Ideapod without advertisements, and will also be invited to a private group where you get direct access to the Ideapod team.
For a limited time, if you sign up for the free 14 day trial you'll get immediate access to our brand new eBook The 7 Most Powerful Articles Published by Ideapod, with an Introduction by Justin Brown, Ideapod Co-Founder.