Sometimes we get too caught up in our every day lives that we tend to forget one of our most basic instincts as humans — to question.
Our deep-seated curiosity is what separates us from animals. It is what allowed us to create all the inventions that make our lives simpler and easier.
And our lives have indeed become so easy, so simple, that we never get curious anymore.
Let’s take a page from the great philosophers, who made it their life’s work to ask questions the world desperately needed answers to.
We’ve come up with the ultimate list of questions to spark the plugs in your gray matter.
Whether you are looking for questions to simply make you think, or you want to start debates and interesting conversations, we’ve piled up questions about life, the universe, human existence, and so much more.
Questions about life
- Are we the most advanced form of life in the universe? Or are there other, far more superior life forms out there?
- Is time only a concept made by humans? Is it something we restrict ourselves with?
- Why do we all fear death?
- What is consciousness? And are we sure we are the only ones capable of it?
- Which is easier: to love or to hate? And why?
- What is true love?
- Why do we love to love?
- Are humans doomed for extinction? If so, what would cause it eventually?
- What does the world need more: wisdom or intelligence?
- What would be the ultimate cause of the earth’s destruction?
- Will the world ever be rid of religion? Or is it something we will always grasp for?
- Why do we put so much value in physical beauty?
- Should humans be completely free to do as they wish? Or do we always need a limit for it?
- Will the world ever be completely globalized? No nations, different government systems – just one global enterprise?
- Do we control our own technology or is it controlling us?
- Why does the concept of power thrill humans so much?
- Why do we feel the need to control everything?
- Are we truly autonomous thinkers, or are our thoughts controlled by something else?
- Has education become too formal? Will the world benefit more from a “free” method of education?
- What will make the world better: stricter laws or no laws at all?
- Why do we all have different levels of intellectual capacity?
- Is immigration a restrictive process we should all get rid of?
- Why do we have dreams? Do they truly have a deeper meaning? Are they signs for the future?
- Is perfection really unachievable? As humans, can we ever achieve perfection?
- Why do we still have distinctions of rich and poor in our modern world?
- Is there a meaning to all life? What is it?
- What does having a good life mean?
- Why do we lie? Is it something we can live without doing?
- If humans will go extinct, which animal would replace us as superior beings on this planet?
- Why do we need validation so much?
Deep questions to start conversations with yourself
- What is human’s biggest potential waste?
- When do you feel truly alive? Should you feel more of this? How?
- Do you currently have a good work-life balance? If not, how can you achieve this?
- When you’re old and gray, what would you look back to as the greatest achievement of your life?
- Do you truly know yourself?
- Are you doing things only because society tells you you should? Or are you doing things because they truly make you happy?
- What is the meaning of success to you?
- Do you consider your life’s work worthy enough?
- If you could turn back time, what choices would you do differently?
- What do you consider the biggest mistake of your life is?
- What advice would you give your 8-year old self?
- If you could measure your success, how high or low will it be right now?
- What is the most important thing to you: love or success?
- If you could change your career tomorrow, what would you choose?
- Would you rather be successful or popular?
- Which do you crave more riches or power?
- What is the one thing that drives you?
- What childhood trauma affects all your choices today?
- If you can only impart one lesson to your future children, what would it be?
- Where do you see yourself happiest?
- Have you made more mistakes in your life than the right choices?
- Would you ever consider having a plant-based diet?
- Do you do things with intention? Or are you simply going through the motions of mundane life?
- Which do you value more in people, kindness or wisdom?
- If you could be smart or beautiful, which one would you be?
- Would you rather be more apathetic or more emotional?
- Is it important to be more selfish in life?
- Do you consider yourself ambitious? Should you be?
- Would you rather live fully but die young or live longer but not really living?
- Would your 13-year old self be proud of you right now?
Deep existential questions
- What was there before the universe existed?
- Do you believe in multiple alternate universes?
- it is theorized that humans only have access to a small percentage of our brain’s capacity. What would happen if we can access all of it?
- If an alternate universe or more exists, what would the repercussions be of crossing them?
- How can we get rid of time as a limiting concept?
- Can we even fathom the depth and vastness of what the meaning of the universe is?
- Are we from Mars?
- Why are we the only ones capable of consciousness?
- What purpose do we humans serve as a species?
- What is reality?
- Can we colonize in space?
- Why haven’t we come across extra-terrestrial species yet?
- Is Mathematics the universal truth? If so, are we the first ones to discover it?
- Is there an order to the universe or is everything completely random?
- Are all living beings capable of love? Or is it something only humans feel fully outside of survival?
- Is the color orange based on the fruit or is the fruit orange named after the color?
- Do fish ever get thirsty?
- Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
- If you pinch yourself and it hurts, are you strong or are you weak?
- What language do deaf people think in?
- How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?
- How do you know that your memories are true?
- If the universe is expanding, what is it expanding to?
- How many wild birds do you think you’ve seen twice?
- Where do your thoughts actually originate?
Questions about morality and ethics
- Do animals have a moral code?
- Will the taking of human life ever be justifiable?
- Is religion the reason for human being’s corruption?
- What human rights should everyone have? Will these rights change as we age?
- If you have to defend our entire existence, what would your argument be for our continued survival?
- Where does the concept of justice come from? Is it man-made or natural to every living being?
- Do guns kill people or protect them?
- What is the root of all these psychologically-stemmed attacks to the public?
- Is our society teaching us the wrong things?
- Is it our moral responsibility to take care of animals and the earth in general?
- Are we the biggest threat to our own species?
- What can we teach our students so our future will have more peace?
- If we didn’t have any rules, will the world turn into chaos or peace?
- Do you think euthanasia on human beings should be legal? Why or why not?
- If animals or plants are discovered to be conscious about their life and their death, will things change? Should they?
- Is it a good deed if you do it not for kindness but for business?
- Should there be death penalty all around the world? Why or why not?
- Is our concept of “right” really right? What if we have it wrong?
- What if scientists can accurately know who will likely do a crime? Will you arrest these people even if they haven’t done anything wrong yet?
- Is it right to deny people from entering your country to protect your interests even if it means death for them?
DO YOU WANT TO BE INSPIRED TO THINK DIFFERENTLY?
We're tired of media that amplifies fear and negativity, without expanding your perspective.
This is why we're creating a new kind of media model. One where people come together around new ways of thinking and living.
Your voice is important in this media revolution. Your free thought is important. Make no mistake, you are the key to promoting new ways of thinking.
We need your support now more than ever. Become an Ideapod Prime member for only $4 per month, with a free 14 day trial.
When you join, you get immediate access to all of Ideapod's eBooks and webinars (worth hundreds of dollars - you get it as part of our free trial).
Learn more about our Prime membership program clicking the button below. Thank you!